Grand Center Inc.
District Experience and Activation Coordinator
Grand Center Inc. (GCI) is the developer, facilitator and connector of Grand Center Arts District, a 175-acre area in St. Louis’ Midtown. Grand Center Arts District is St. Louis’ epicenter for the arts. Here, world-class talent performs, and aspiring artists hone their craft. Eclectic venues line the streets offering everything from Broadway to Black Box Theater, Bebop to Beethoven, street art to galleries and sushi to soul food. Engaging media, inviting parks, inspiring museums and welcoming hotels surround visitors of all ages. An ever-evolving cultural crossroads, Grand Center Arts District offers more to see, to hear, to taste, to learn, to experience – often in the most unexpected ways and places.
GCI is a mission-driven nonprofit organization. Its mission is to preserve, promote and advance Grand Center Arts District to enhance and enrich our partner institutions, neighborhood and region.
Job Purpose: The District Experience and Activation Coordinator aspires to create a sense of community for patrons, employees, and residents through vibrant public spaces. Partnering with others in the community, the Coordinator will facilitate public space activity that engages each constituency. Additionally, the Coordinator will help create and manage a tour program intended to give visitors exciting and informative glimpses into the District and its Arts partners. To further these goals, a volunteer program will be created and managed by the Coordinator. Experience working with volunteers is strongly desired. The ideal candidate will have the ability to manage a variety of situations with multiple constituencies and diverse audiences, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a balance among multiple priorities. Enthusiasm about Grand Center Arts District and sharing information about the district’s offerings with visitors are essential. This position reports to the Operations Director.
Public Space Activation and Management
- Create and implement a strategy to engage the community in Strauss Park through a comprehensive year-round calendar of activities including games, food trucks, and other non-arts programming that would be available to all constituents on a regular basis.
- Plan low cost, interactive, and inclusive activities in Strauss Park that complement other district activity such as Fox, SLSO, Jazz St Louis, and KDHX performances, CAM/Pulitzer exhibitions, or other arts organization’s planned schedule.
- Support the monthly, district-wide First Fridays events, including administration and logistics implementation as well as development of complementary activities in Strauss Park and other public spaces.
- Build relationships with internal and external stakeholders and community organizations, specifically those who can help activate the park; i.e., St. Louis Public Library, the VA, arts organizations, etc.
- Develop metrics to track all Strauss Park activities and maintain accurate records that are up-to-date at all times. Organize all data for use in grant writing programs and presentations to potential donors. Develop desired outcomes of Park activity and measure against that outcome.
- Manage park usage: Receive and handle requests, ensure required accountability/liability documentation, coordinate any support GCI has agreed to give.
- Manage park appearance to assure the park is ready for public engagement, including daily management and planning for needed upgrades.
- Document all public activities in Strauss Park. Photograph groups and activities.
- Keep up with trends and opportunities for public park/green space event programming.
- Design and implement a series of tours around different district themes such as architecture, food, or history.
- Create and maintain a tour calendar. Develop a marketing plan and materials in conjunction with the marketing team for the tour program.
- Develop a staffing/volunteer plan for tours.
- Manage the tour program activities and profitability.
- Create and maintain a volunteer program for Grand Center.
- Develop a series of volunteer opportunities and recruit volunteers to the program.
- Schedule volunteers for work assignments and follow up on their work.
- Document all volunteer activities including photos and metrics for the purpose of grant writing support and donor solicitation.
- Attend periodic meetings with district stakeholders to discuss Strauss Park events of interest to the community.
- Assist at the Welcome Center as needed.
- Assist in the Coworking space (to be launched in 2019) as needed.
- Assist the Operations Director in district-related observations, meetings, and vendor-related activities as assigned.
- Assist in the creation of the budget associated with areas of responsibility.
- Comfortable in a public-facing role interacting with a diverse group of staff, district stakeholders, and visitors by e-mail, telephone, and in person.
- Excellent problem-solving ability.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Adobe Acrobat.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be creative and curious, possess an independent working style, and enjoy working within a small, entrepreneurial environment that is mission-driven, results-focused, and community oriented.
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks with excellent attention to detail. Able to consistently meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of community resources, volunteer, funding, and development resources.
- Must be able to effectively represent GCI and reflect organizational values. Passion for our mission and desire to go above and beyond to fulfill the position and make an overall contribution to the organization.
- Must have the flexibility and willingness to work on evenings and weekends when required.
Education: Minimum of an Associate’s degree; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Experience: At least two years related work experience. Will consider combination of education and experience. Non-profit and administrative support experience a plus.
Salary and Benefits:
- Full-time position. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Please send resume and cover letter to [email protected] by November 21, 2018.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Grand Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.