Tonina Saputo is a vocalist, bassist, and the Music Director of KDHX – who most recently made the cut of Barack Obama’s favorite songs/artists in 2018! Here are a few of her favorite things in Grand Center Arts District:
1. Powell Symphony Hall: This is where I first fell in love with classical and symphonic music, and also where I learned how to work with others and blend musically – and it is absolutely gorgeous.
2. Contemporary Art Museum: CAM is a very inclusive and modern gallery that inspires my musicianship every time I visit. I love that it’s free and I can enjoy it during First Fridays in Grand Center!
3. Kranzberg Arts Center & Foundation: With a free practice space and amazing artist-in-residence program, this organization fosters the growth of artists no matter what medium or genre.
4. Jazz St. Louis: I have been going to Jazz at the Bistro since I was little and to see it evolve into one of the best Jazz venues in the country is heartwarming. The concert programming, Jazz U and the unique sound make it unlike any other organization in the world.
5. Public Media Commons: When I walk into this space, I am immediately taken on an adventure and find myself transfixed by the images and sounds coming from the two-story high screen.
Tonina Saputo is a singer/songwriter, bassist, music journalist and poet from St. Louis, Missouri who performs her original music along with her arrangements of covers in both Spanish and English. Tonina had a big year in 2018. She opened for Grammy-Award winning artist, Lalah Hathaway in St. Louis, traveled to perform at the Catania Jazz Festival in Sicily, and was named one of NPR’s favorite new artists of 2018 and then listed as one of NPR’s top 10 artists of 2018. She now performs solo and with her quartet at local venues in St. Louis and around the world.